Genny’s 4th of July Party 2008! [video]

July 8, 2008 · Print This Article

Genny's 4th of July party 2008

The Foote Family (Dennis, Kathy, Genny) once again opened their doors to all for a 4th of July party at their home on the Sagamihara housing complex of Camp Zama (a U.S. military base).  Over 25 people showed up.

After helping set up for the BBQ in the evening, we went to the pool for some leisurely swimming, which soon turned into spontaneous swimming race challenges, where Genny took on and defeated almost all comers.  Yoshio was defeated by Kerry.  I gave blood to reach the wall first.  In more traditional pool pursuits, Yoshio, Luke, Kerry and I all took turns trying to catch a small ball while diving/jumping into the deep end of the pool, which was great fun.  I, myself, made many just regular dives into the deep end.  Joy!

After that there was some quite spirited volleyball to be played, mostly 4-on-4.  How Yoshio’s team won so many of those games is beyond me and Luke’s understanding, as well as one bystander’s.

By this time we were all pretty hungry so we headed back to the house to begin consuming the huge spread Dennis and Kathy had laid out, which thoughtfully included some vegetarian burgers for me.  Then it was cake tabehodai time for me!!  I ate 5 pieces of cake along with at least 6 cookies and throughout the day drank approximately 8-10 large cups of pink lemonade.  Sounds about like the usual quota for a good 4th of July.

Big thanks to the Foote’s for hosting such a large bunch, and I look forward to Halloween on base in October!

VIDEO:

made on mac

Comments

6 Responses to “Genny’s 4th of July Party 2008! [video]”

1. on July 8th, 2008 8:20 PM

Damn, looks like a great time, wish I could’ve been there!

Nice dive prep by Lukas- for some reason always forget to do that myself.

2. Yoshio
    on July 9th, 2008 9:45 AM

nice vid, captures the good wholesomeness of the day. was especially fun to frolic in an outdoor pool, been years since i’ve done that. if choosing just one volleyball scene i might have chosen my jump serve, the dominant factor over the course of several games, but hey, it’s your vid.

we should def get into some beach volleyball this summer.

3. on July 9th, 2008 3:33 PM

@Yoshio

Thanks about the video. It was certainly a wholesome day indeed.

That was basically the only footage of volleyball there was, besides another ball just going into the net. So the footage you see is because that’s all there was, not because of any directorial decisions made by me. Had your jump serve been recorded, it would be there! Likewise for your dives into the pool.

@Mike UK

It was a great time, maybe the best party I’ve been to ever in Japan.

4. on July 9th, 2008 3:43 PM

Hey, Jason ! you seem to gain some weight ! woowhaaaaaaa !
    Look healthy, though ;p

5. on July 9th, 2008 3:49 PM

Thanks Seon-shil!

Yes, I have gained some weight! About 8kg since I last lived in Korea! But my weight is going down again, a little 😉

6. Terry Elfering
    on July 11th, 2008 12:52 AM

Awesome, especially the country music lol.

Have not seen the ‘stache – love it – move over Jason Giambi!!!

good form on a couple of those dives – I think Greg Louganis would be proud.