Futako-Tamagawa Fireworks Hanabi 2008

August 18, 2008 · Print This Article

I attended my second fireworks display, hanabi, of the summer this past Saturday along the banks of the Tama River near Futako-Tamagawa station.  If you can believe it, I am still so naive that even after 5+ years of living in Japan, I wasn’t expecting to have to fight through huge crowds!  Of course Futako-Tamagawa station was jammed with people exiting trains to head to the river for the fireworks.  However, once out of the fray, there was plenty of space even for late arrivers to find a nice spot upon which to gaze upwards for the hour-long fireworks display.

Aya and I benefited from the labors of Luke, Shag and Niji who all went and secured a marquee spot.  I of course brought along both my video and still cameras.

FUTAKO-TAMAGAWA FIREWORKS PHOTO GALLERY

Juri with fireworks on the brain A starburst of fireworks
Like a chrysanthemum A large feathery firework Looks like a palm tree to me
white hot fireworks fireworks in red Fireworks everywhere
The big fireworks finale Streamy squirmy firwork Weeping fireworks
Out of body experience for these fireworks Fireworks dance all around My lens streaks across fireworks
Someone looks at me in a fireworks shower Like jellyfish swimming in the sea A potpourri of fireworks
The moon streaks across the sky The moon watched over all fireworks proceedings This is promoting Tokyo getting the Olympics in 2016, I think they have no chance

VIDEO

RELATED POST:

Comments

9 Responses to “Futako-Tamagawa Fireworks Hanabi 2008”

1. on August 18th, 2008 3:16 PM

Fireworks (hanabi) along the Tama River 2008…

A photo gallery and short video of the fireworks display (hanabi) held on Saturday August 16th 2008 along the banks of the Tama River, close to Futako-Tamagawa station….

2. Maho
    on August 18th, 2008 9:30 PM

Thats one of the greatest videos that you made. It reminds me my childhood. The pictures quality is also very fine too. Good job!

Thanks Maho…I’m glad the video could provide a bit of nostalgia for you.

About the photos, I actually think they are not good at all and they are the main motivation why I need to buy a new dSLR camera!

3. aya
    on August 19th, 2008 8:38 AM

It was the nice fireworks display !
    We could watch closer than Yokohama fireworks diplay.
    I appreciate your friends.

I liked the fireworks combined with music. It was like a fountain.

Also it was nice to see your friends! I ‘m so glad they were congratulated our engagement!! Happy!!

Yes, thanks to everyone for your warm congratulations at the hanabi!

Our view was much better this time than at Yokohama, plus the music did add another dimension to the experience.

4. on August 19th, 2008 10:12 AM

Nice video! I thought your friends comments were pretty funny. :)

I was there also and caught some fireworks with my camera too. If you are interested, you can check them out at http://www.james-dunn-photo.com
    No video just photos. :)

Cheers!

Thanks for commenting James, and for the link. I checked out your photos. I liked them. Did you use your Canon 40D to take them?

Not getting the photos I wanted at this hanabi and not having enough zoom to photograph my fiancee surfing two days before that has me obsessing over getting a dSLR. (I am leaning toward the Nikon 80D but will probably wait for the 90D to come out).

P.S. I would have commented on your site but it requires a login.

5. on August 20th, 2008 1:52 AM

I was going to go to that one, but couldn’t . Thanks for the pics.

Thanks Billy….the fireworks here seemed a bit more tame as compared to the ones I saw earlier in the summer in Yokohama, but the river atmosphere and wide open viewing area made it pretty good.