LOST 6×08 “Recon”
March 16, 2010 · Print This Article
Another filler (?) episode LOST that was really disguised as something actually interesting? No show in memory has ever had a satisfying season finale, not even the great THE WIRE ended well. I am starting to fear for LOST the same fate as all of those. More after the break.
This is the kind of ep I am thinking, “hmm, this is a pretty good ep, BUT, something just feels off, like the writers left out one key ingredient that without it causes a lack of pizzaz, though as is remains a semi-savory meal.”
I guess it just goes back to me being done with filler episodes. The produces said, give us a finite end date so we can tell the story right. Seems like the series should have ended after season 5.
Really, I mean really, the second the Oceanic 6 set first foot off the island, the show was over for me. THAT was the premise of the show, stuck on an island, got to get off somehow. They did, so no matter what happens, no matter what super cool history or mythology of the island they reveal, or what twist they bring in, to me, nothing will be bigger than them first getting off the island. Increasing the scope of the show to go off island in the current timeline, for me, actually shrank the scope of the show in my eyes.
Anyway, about 6×08 Recon in particular . . .
WHAT I LIKED:
- The is he a cop or isn’t he few seconds at the end of the teaser
- Miles being loyal to Sawyer even in the flashsideways, great turnaround for that character
- Charlotte looking radiant at the restaurant, two pools of blue framed by red
- Sawyer’s cavalier attitude when being marched to Widmore
WHAT I DID NOT LIKE:
- More Claire insanity, don’t need it, don’t want to see it
- The introduction of yet another new character, Zoe, this late in the game, don’t care how minor she is, sick of henchmen coming in all the time now
- Sawyer being into Kate seemingly so soon after wanting to destroy the world over Juliet dying
- Why in the hell is Flocke so damn careful and slow when he is the smoke monster, why not just cruise to the other island and destroy Widmore in the bat of an eye? Why does he need ANY of those people? And why does he NEED to kill any of them?
- No Hurley
I was intending to give this episode 3 stars, but I may be talking myself into only 2 stars. I really do not want all the action to be jammed into the final 2 or 3 hours of the series. The battle between Widmore and Flocke had better the hell happen WAY before the series finale. Their better be something more than just a fight to cap all this.
Basically an entire ep to tell us what we already knew from the 30 second ending of the previous ep, Widmore is setting up shop on the Hydra Island. Widmore and Flocke don’t like each other. Claire is crazy. Need more happening each ep. And I wish they had just had the respect to give Sayid an honorable death, whatever the hell he is now is an insult to his character.