Autumn Dusk Skies of Shinjuku 2008

November 14, 2008 · Print This Article

There is no doubt I pay way too much for my shoebox of an apartment in Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan.  Yet, there are certain benefits to living in the building I do.  One of the greatest is the ability to see the sunset each and every day the weather allows for it.  Over the course of the year the sun sets over distant mountains in summer, to behind Shinjuku’s skyscrapers in winter and to where it can be seen setting in the above photograph, between the skyscrapers of Nakano-sakaue.  Autumn often offers the best sunsets and dusks skies, and even the very rare orange sunset (above).

Dusk is my favorite time of the day, and it comes early this time of year in Tokyo, about 4:30pm.  I am often home at this time, which is another reason why I like autumn sunsets the best–because I’m actually home to see them pretty much every day.

All photos above and in the gallery below were taken from my balcony and were handheld shots using my Nikon D80.  Around dusk on week days I’m often working at my desk, which is right beside my balcony doors.  So when I look over my right shoulder and see a good dusk sky, I hop up and grab the D80 and take a few shots.  Five minutes later the sky will have changed, so I’ll go out on the balcony again and snap a few more shots.  Not having such sunset views anymore will be one thing I will miss about living in Tokyo once I return to the U.S. next year.

AUTUMN DUSK SKIES OF SHINJUKU PHOTO GALLERY:
Clouds fall like meteors Whispy clouds fisheye over Shinjuku The sun dropping in through the clouds
Shinjuku looks good in purple and black The mountains appear to be steaming The souls of those working in the skyscrapers float by
Nakano-sakaue buildings look post-apocalyptic A sleepy looking sun The sun looking cosmic, like for real.
A dirty Shinjuku Sunset The sun wrapped in mystery, or just clouds? Big dusk sky over Shinjuku
Got my camera out just in time for this shot! The suburbs of Shinjuku are already in darkness You can see Venus in the mid-upper-right of the shot
Orange is a rare sky color for dusk in Shinjuku Thanks to air pollution for these colors. Fall produces some of the best dusk skies in Shinjuku
A crow flies by the setting Shinjuku Sun

Comments

10 Responses to “Autumn Dusk Skies of Shinjuku 2008”

1. on November 16th, 2008 1:10 PM

Some really nice shots you have. You might pay too much for your shoebox apartment, but at least you get some really great views.

Thanks Jay….I may do another sunset series before I leave this apartment in January, if I can get distinct enough shots from these.

2. on November 17th, 2008 8:07 PM

Some great shots, that’s a pretty special view you’ve got over there. What part of town will you be moving to next?

Thanks Chris, I appreciate the complement as I think very highly of your photography work.

I’ll be moving all the way back to the U.S., so my time to photograph Japan will soon come to an end (February 2009). My next view will be from either California or Florida.

3. on November 18th, 2008 12:05 PM

You should make some calendars with all these good photos compiled over the years! People look at me cross-eyed when they see my 2007 calendar of Fuji-san still hanging up.

Yeah Steve, you are right. I’m going to start putting together calendars this week! Thanks for the idea!

Did you take the photos in your Fuji calendar?

Steve-O Reply:

Nope, I bought it at Tokyu Hands. Very good photos, though. I need another vacation to Japan.

Make sure you come before the end of February!

I think I might have enough decent shots of Fuji to make a calendar, maybe.

4. on June 14th, 2009 12:04 AM

[...] saw some great sunsets while living in Tokyo, but I always remembered there is nothing quite like a Florida sunset.  I [...]

5. on September 14th, 2014 10:17 PM

Greetings from Florida! I’m bored to tears at
    work so I decided to browse your website on my iphone
    during lunch break. I really like thee information you present here and can’t wait to
    take a look when I get home. I’m shocked at how quick your blog loaded on my phone
    .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, great
    site!

Feel free to surf to my homepage – kids party magic