The curvaceous De Beers building in Ginza, Tokyo

December 25, 2008 · Print This Article

First off, I do not support the buying, selling or acquisition of diamonds, gold or any other kind of nonsense material that had arbitrary value placed on it by human society.  I knew diamonds were bloody even before I saw BLOOD DIAMOND.  I just happened to like the va-va-va-voom curves of this building in Ginza, Tokyo, and it just happens to be owned by De Beers, who I also make no claims on regarding the status of their diamonds (not slandering them).

I would not have even of known about this building if Aya and I didn’t happen to go to Ginza this Christmas Day (because I feel Ginza has the most Christmas feeling of any place in Tokyo for some reason).  So thanks to her I got to take these shots.  See the descriptions in the photos for more.

De BEERS BUILDING IN GINZA TOKYO PHOTO GALLERY:
Perhaps this building leaning on the left caused De Beer's curves You could almost free-climb this building, almost. The side view of the building looks a little more classy I think
From this angle the design of this building looks influenced by THE SCREAM The metal of the columns is made of polished aluminum, very soft and smooth to the touch An outdoor entrance elevator runs right up this side wall
I heard looking at this buildig makes some people dizzy. The top, looks like a good venue for extreme sports of some kind! De Beers between Chanel and Cartier
Straight up the front

Comments

8 Responses to “The curvaceous De Beers building in Ginza, Tokyo”

1. on December 26th, 2008 5:32 AM

That is a pretty cool looking building. Architecture like this is one of the aspects that make world class cities like Tokyo and New York so interesting.

These types of buildings tend to be concentrated in single areas in Tokyo, so if you don’t go to the right parts of the city, you’d only see the boring majority.

L.A. doesn’t have as many cool buildings?

Tornadoes28 Reply:

Nothing like this in LA. However, the Walt Disney Concert Hall in downtown LA is pretty crazy now that I think of it. You can see a picture of it here:

2. on December 26th, 2008 10:29 PM

Some great shots, ones I didn’t even think of taking myself and I cruised by it 2 or 3 times. Distant shot from the street and tight on the side- both great ways to look at it.

Thanks…the distant shot was just because we happened to be walking that way toward the building.

3. catoneinutica
    on December 27th, 2008 9:16 PM

That building immediately caught my eye when they started building it as being one of the exceedingly rare instances of a genuinely interesting building in Tokyo. I was disappointed to see the Blood Diamond people were going to be the tenants. Anyone know the architects? It’s stating the obvious to say it’s Sir Norman-esque.

I would have liked to of seen the inner frame of this building while it was being built. Was it all twisted looking? Do you have a photo of it?

4. on November 7th, 2010 6:06 AM

[...] stores and boutiques were a few architectural oddities including the wonderfully warped De Beers building above and just down the same street the swiss-cheese Mikimoto building below. The latter is [...]